Some practical tips for kids dealing with an online bully:
- Tell the bully in simple terms to leave you alone. Tell them not to contact you again.
Log off immediately and stay offline for at least 24 hours.
- Do not reply to any future mail from the bully. Do not reply to taunts, emails or gossip written about you. By ignoring taunts, you take the power away from the harasser and refuse to play their game. You are now in charge
- Never give your password or logon details to anyone, even your best friends. It’s really easy for someone to log on to your Face book, or MySpace site and post any kind of rubbish if they know your password
- Stay out of chat rooms where you don’t feel comfortable.
- Keep all harassing emails (and any replies you’ve made) as evidence.
- If you feel you are in physical danger or if the bully has made physical threats against you, tell your parents immediately and they can decide if it’s appropriate to contact authorities.